Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I made it!

I made it! Aside from losing my luggage and breaking a strap on my backpack, I had a very smooth and uneventful 3 flights to Guatemala City. I met a wonderful couple on the flight into Guatemala City that allowed me to share their shuttle that was dropping them off in Antigua. They even waited for me while I dealt with my lost luggage debacle. Thanks to J and A for helping me in my time of need! I arrived safely at the clinic coordinator’s house (Hannah), met her son, six cats, two dogs and two (of four) horses, then promptly went to sleep.

My first official day in Ciudad Vieja was full of horseback riding (and a nasty sunburn!), giant kites, singing and dancing in the cemetery and learning about the traditions that accompany All Saints Day in San Antonio. There were many traditional foods to be eaten, some I could eat and others I couldn’t (stupid allergies!) but they all smelled amazing. The cemetery was full of food venders wedged among the alters and graves, along with a mariachi band and the entire community of San Antonio. One of the things I learned was why alters must have plenty of food surrounding them as offerings to the dead. I guess the dead aren’t able to eat anything, but I was told they are just as satisfied by the smell of all the offerings.

The following day Hannah took me into Guatemala City with her (about 45min drive with good traffic) and we spent most of the day at the clinic (Manos Abiertas). My first impression of the clinic was that it didn’t feel like the clinics back in Canada. It was very warm and inviting without that awful medical clinic smell! I was fortunate enough to be a fly on the wall alongside Hannah for much of the day, observing consults, ultrasounds and a termination. Each of the meetings were easily three times as long as any I have ever had with a doctor and there was no sense of hurriedness in the room. After visiting Manos Abiertas, we went to Parto de Natural, the water birth clinic just a short distance away from the airport. I took pictures but they don’t convey how inviting it is. The waiting room feels like a living room in a close friend’s home, with pictures of past clients and their newborns, sculptures and crafts as well as an extensive library. I hope I get to go back to both of these places quite soon!

Adios!

kelly

PS. Still no sign of my luggage…


Pictures to come! very very very slow connection at the house! :(


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,

    It sounds like you're having a good time so far. I'm so glad to hear you arrived safe :)

    Hopefully your luggage will turn up soon.

    Love you lots, miss you lots.

    Can't wait to see pictures!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kenna, love you too! Say hello to your special little guy for me :P

    ReplyDelete