Monday, September 27, 2010

A little about me

A little about me...

I work as a clinical teaching associate for the medical school in Victoria, Canada where I teach pelvic and breast exams from start to finish to second year medical students. Over the last four years I have had the chance to work with many amazing women with a wealth of knowledge and rich life experiences. I discovered my passion for womens health and found my place as an advocate for educating and empowering women to take charge of their reproductive health.
A few years ago I thought my path included medical school and pursuing a career in obstetrics, but I realized that my personal philosophy did not match up well with the practice philosophy of a medical doctor. I began to research midwifery schools in Canada and knew this was where I belonged.

Where I am headed...

It is finally starting to sink in that I will be travelling on my own for nine weeks in just over a month. I will be working as an intern at a womens clinic in Ciudad Vieja, Guatemala which is quiet close to the city of Antigua. In February I had the opportunity to volunteer with a group that set up a temporary dental clinic in Joyabaj (a small city in the mountains) and I passed through Antigua on our way to Joyabaj. As I count down the days until my departure, I look forward to being immersed in the culture and experiencing life in the clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment