Thursday, March 15, 2012

Adjusting to life back in Victoria, BC, Canada...

Well it has been over five months since my last post and I figured I should write an update for those of you that are directed to this page from DoulaMatch.net or doulasofvictoria.ca!

I am still a wannabe in the sense that I still intend to enter the Masters of Midwifery program in Kenmore, Seattle in the fall. I hope second time is the charm and that this will be my year. As a birth doula, postpartum doula and soon to be breastfeeding counselor, I am practicing in Victoria for the time being and the last few months have been very enjoyable for me. I have had the opportunity to support and learn from several families since coming home from Nepal and I am loving it! I have stocked my doula bag with a brand new TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation) unit and enough belly casting materials to do belly castings for several mums. In addition, I have a variety of essential oils for aromatherapy, massage tools and herbals for teas such as red raspberry leaves, nettles, peppermint, fenugreek, black/blue cohosh, etc.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them on this website or send me an email at: kjbirthservices@hotmail.com. Also, if you are a current/past client and would like to provide me with feedback, I would be very appreciative if you could leave a few comments on this page. Thank you!

Below is my profile as it appears on the Doulas of Victoria website;


Certificates held/training attended:
-DONA Doula Training (2009 Douglas College)
-Standard First Aid CPR-C and AED training (2011)
-Emergency Childcare First Aid (2011)
-Bachelor of Science in Biology and Psychology from University of Victoria (2011)
-"Midwifery 101" online lecture series from Gloria Lemay (2011)
-Lamaze childbirth educator skills workshop (2011)
-Social Media for Midwives in BC webinar from Rob Cottingham (2011)
-Advanced Women’s Herbal and Aromatherapy Course, Birth Arts International, 2012
-Breastfeeding Counseling Course for Health Care Providers, Douglas College, 2012

Relevant Background:
-Interned at natural birth center and women's clinic in Guatemala (mostly water births)
-Clinical Teaching Associate for Island Medical Program for 5 years where I teach medical students women's reproductive health exams
-Currently volunteer for Midwives Collective of Victoria
-Volunteered in Kathmandu, Nepal with Community Hospital and Kathmandu maternity ward
Services/fees:
-Initial meeting (no charge)
-2-3 prenatal visits
-Full access to my childbirth library
-24 hour phone support and prompt email support throughout pregnancy
-Continuous support through labour and birth
-Use of my TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation) unit for pain management
-2-3 postpartum visits
Fee: $200 (Lower fee reflective of my belief that every women is entitled to the support of a birth doula if she wants one!)
Area:
Area: Victoria and surrounding municipalities (NO LONGER ACTIVE IN VICTORIA)

Phone Number:
  • 206-766-0405 (Washington)
E-mail Address:
  • kjbirthservices@hotmail.com
Web-site:


No comments:

Post a Comment