Thursday, December 30, 2010

A very merry Christmas to me!

Where the magic happens

It seems that my Christmas wish came true....two births in three days! I postponed my Pacaya volcano hike for a 2:30am dash to the birth center in the city. This was their sixth baby and Hannah was doubtful that we would make it in time. Hannah explained that the mother-to-be had reported contractions every 2-3 minutes and Hannah knew from previous births with this client (repeat customer!) that this phase was typically very short and easy. In the car we discussed game plan and logistics for; a) backseat car birth b) doorstep baby and c) birth room baby. It turned out that contractions continued for a little while after they arrived and a perfect 7 lbs 11 ounces girl was born a little after 4:30am in the birth room. I was elated that I was allowed to share this moment with them. I couldn’t fall asleep for almost four hours after I had dressed the baby. Hannah said she had debated whether or not to wake me for the birth since I was to hike Pacaya at 5am. For me, a birth is at least a thousand times better than Pacaya!

Hannah hard at work


Fresh out of the oven! (white stuff = vernix)


The following afternoon we were called back to the birth center for another birth! Hooray! I was thrilled to be there as it was to be a water birth and I had hoped there would be at least one during my internship. Lucky me! Her contractions had started at home at 5am that morning and eventually were coming every 2-3 minutes and lasting about 60 seconds. Hannah’s daughter and her family were at the clinic when we arrived to help with preparations. A short while later she was at 7cm, this news seemed to give them both renewed energy and there were more smiles and laughter with the news of progress! For several hours I timed contractions, learned how to maintain water temperature in the tub, helped keep her comfortable (ha!) and did whatever I could for her and her birth partner. A tiny baby girl with dark, curly hair and big, dark eyes was born at 2:08am. I got to dress her and was told by the mother that I had been helpful…music to my ears! After hearing that I was ecstatic. By 5am I had helped with laundry, cleaned up and helped mother, baby and a very excited new father into bed. That entire day I felt a rush of happiness that still hasn’t gone away! This is such an amazing life and I am grateful for every minute I have spent Hannah and the families at the clinics and birth center.


Beautiful mother-to-be in the birth tub!



She has finally arrived!


All bundled up


I am off to Tikal in the Peten jungle, a huge city that was in a very influential ancient Maya kingdom. Happy new years wishes to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hurray! Can't wait to see more photos from Tikal. What's the purpose of the fabric thing that the mother holds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kelly what adventures you have !!!
    Beautiful photos btw :)

    ReplyDelete